Our Commitment to Your Well-Being: Our Ethics
Every professiional counsellor should belong to a professional association. All of Therapy Online's counsellors do! And every professional association has an ethical code. This code is a set of rules that counsellors must follow in working with you to protect you from harm and to make sure you receive proper care.
Our counsellors have the highest levels of caring, ethics and integrity. You are well looked after here.
Our commitment to ethics was recognized by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) back in 1997. At that time, the NBCC were developing their original code of ethics for WebCounselors. They chose Therapy Online to consult with them in teh development of this first code.
Since then, we have also used many other ethical codes to help us improve the development and delivery of our services. Below are some examples of ethical codes for online practice:
- American Counseling Association Ethical Standards
- American Psychological Association Guidelines for the Practice of Telepsychology
- Association for Counselling and Therapy Online Code of Ethics
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association's Ethical Code
- International Society for Mental Health Online Suggested Principles for the Online Provision of Mental Health Services
- National Board of Certified Counselors NBCC Policy Regarding the Provision of Distance Professional Services
- National Career Development Association Code of Ethics (see section F)